Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services

What is Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services

If you want to work at a company as an engineer or office worker, you need a status of residence for
“Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services”.

It is a system that allows foreigners to work in Japan for a long time, such as the fact that there is no limit to the number of times the status of residence can be renewed, the ability to acquire permanent residency, and the ability to bring family members to Japan.

Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services System Contents

Period of stay

The period of stay is either 3 months/1 year/3 years/5 years.



Occupation generally called science System engineer/programmer/architectural design/database construction/game development/information security development, etc.

Specialist in Humanities

Occupation generally called humanities Marketing/consulting/sales/accounting/product development/product planning/accounting/legal, etc.

International Services

Work that requires sensitivity as a foreigner and the culture of the home country PR/advertising/translation/interpretation/language school instructor/designer, etc.

Academic Background/Career Requirements

The work performed by foreigners who have acquired the “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services” visa is the work with “specialized skills and knowledge”.
Therefore, at universities and vocational schools, it is necessary to major in subjects related to technology and knowledge of the work to be engaged in.

Example Get a job at a hotel and get a job as a front desk staff University/vocational school majors: Department of Tourism, Department of Business, etc.

In addition, you must have graduated from a Japanese university, vocational school, or an overseas university, or have at least 10 years of work experience.

*If you have graduated from an overseas vocational school, it is difficult to acquire the “Engineer/Humanities/International Services” certification.

Behavior of the applicant

In order to obtain the status of residence of “Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services”, the applicant must be of good conduct. If the applicant has a history of arrests or overwork, he/she may be deemed to have had poor conduct and the application not be permitted.

Part-time work is limited to 28 hours per week, especially for international students and those staying on a Designated Activities Visa ( activities other than permitted under the status of residence), and if you work more than 28 hours per week, it will be considered overwork. You should be careful